Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Burrito blues: The Mexicali experience

Burrito and Taco plate, P265, regular combo. Comes with nachos and a glass of iced tea.

Basket of Fries, P88.

Taco and Quesadilla Plate, P175, junior combo, with iced tea.




Last Sunday, my daughter and I were at SM City San Lazaro to buy some stuff. As we went hungry after going halfway through our errands, we mulled over and debated for a good few minutes whether to go Japanese at Tokyo Tokyo or Mexican at Mexicali. We were discussing in front of Mexicali, however, so it easily won for the both of us. This place offers a nice, laid-back ambiance with the marriage of vibrant wall and chair colors with subdued lighting. My daughter and I both went for combo meals. Burrito and Taco plate for her, Taco and Quesadillas plate for me. Both came with a glass of iced tea. My daughter ordered fries as well. The taco was good enough (I love any taco!) and so were my Cheese and Garlic Quesadillas. According to the server, the latter is their best-selling Quesadilla. They offer other variants of this Mexican sandwich such as Jalapeno and Cheese, Ground Beef, Roast Pork and Grilled Chicken. As to the fries, they were large-cut and tasty, especially when dipped in the orangey sauce that came with it. Even the iced tea was good, refreshing and served in a somewhat large glass so there was more than enough to drink for me. The disappointment came, however, with the burrito. It sorely lacked filling such that you could almost count the morsels of meat. It was so wanting in flavor, which to me was not justified, considering the price (it's steeper here compared to Taco Bell's). I guess I won't be going Mexican again when at SM City San Lazaro, unless of course, the call of the taco grows too loud to ignore. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment